This veggie fried rice is high in protein and stacked with veggies! Pin it here.
Making an entire meal in one pan is my dream! I love how this veggie fried rice comes together quickly in a large wok or skillet. It’s super versatile, which gives you a lot of flexibility with whatever veggies you have on hand. I’ve made it high in protein by adding tofu, but you could also skip the tofu and pair it with your own favorite protein!
Disclosures: I partnered with Tomato Wellness for this sponsored post. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this blog possible!
Veggie Fried Rice
I did a few things to stack this veggie fried rice nutritionally:
- Brown rice is higher in fiber and micronutrients like potassium, phosphorous, manganese, folate and B vitamins compared to white rice
- I added in lots of veggies, including canned tomatoes, onions, carrots, peas and zucchini
- Protein-rich tofu makes it an entire meal (forget having to make a protein side!)
- I went easy on the Asian sauces to keep it moderate in sodium. You can always add more if that fits your palate!
Benefits of Canned Tomatoes
Canned tomatoes are a great addition to cooked dishes because they are often more flavorful than fresh tomatoes! Tomatoes are canned at their peak ripeness, within just three to six hours of being picked from the vine. Canned tomatoes are nutrient-rich (hellllooo vitamins A, C and lycopene!) and cheap to keep on hand.
How to Serve this Veggie Fried Rice
The glory of this veggie fried rice is… it can be served as a complete meal itself! But, you could also try it with my Mongolian Beef recipe or another favorite protein.DYK canned tomatoes are sealed at their peak ripeness within 3 hours of picking?! Try this delicious high protein Veggie Fried Rice using canned tomatoes! Click To Tweet
Tips for Success for Veggie Fried Rice with Tomatoes
As I mentioned before, it’s a pretty flexible and forgiving recipe. You’re welcome to add whatever veggies you have on hand, just be sure to cook your hard veggies first because they’ll need the most time to soften. Tossing the tofu lightly in corn starch helps it brown up and firm better during the cooking process. This recipe turns out better with chilled brown rice than freshly cooked brown rice, so make a batch of brown rice a day ahead of time if you can! Have all your ingredients washed and chopped ahead of time, and this fried rice with tomatoes comes together in about 20 minutes.
Without further ado, I bring you the recipe!
Pin it for later here.
Veggie Fried Rice with Tofu | Vegetarian
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (split 1 tsp + 2 tsp)
- 2 eggs, whipped
- 2 carrots, small chop
- 1/2 zucchini, small chop
- 1/2 onion, small chop
- 1/2 block tofu, diced
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 c frozen peas, thawed (just put them in the fridge from the freezer the day you plan to make this dish!)
- 1/2 c canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 c cooked, chilled brown rice
- Preheat large skillet or wok to medium-high heat. Toss diced tofu in corn starch. Set aside.
- Add eggs to pan. Scramble. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion and carrots to pan. Cook until tender, ~5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and tofu to pan. Sauté until tofu becomes lightly golden brown, ~5-6 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, peas and chilled brown rice. Cook for ~3-4 minutes until rice begins to brown.
- Add back in the cooked eggs. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from pan. Enjoy :).